Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Transformation Thursday: DIY Personalized Jewelry Box

For some reason I am drawn to these vintage jewelry boxes, perhaps they remind me of the hours I spent playing with my grandmother’s vintage jewelry, which she kept in a similar jewelry box. I picked up these two at separate estate sales for $1 and 50 cents each.

IMG_2070

These babies needed a facelift, don’t ya think? Enter the spray paint:

IMG_2165Much better! I spray painted the larger one silver and the smaller one lavender. They were still kinda plain, so I decided to keep on going by adding my initial and some bling.

IMG_2168

IMG_2169

I added the border to highlight the slightly raised detail border that still showed through a little.

IMG_2170

I just used silver craft paint to paint the border and initial, then outlined them using a paint pen. I printed out an initial and used carbon paper to transfer it to the top of the box. Since I am an impatient crafter, I didn’t even tape off for a clean line, but it still turned out okay. If you wanted to do a real professional job I would recommend taping off.

Now they’re right at home in my guest bedroom, but I keep moving them around. Tell me which spot you like best.

In the vanity:

IMG_2173

Under the vanity:

IMG_2171 In the corner (I’m leaning toward this spot):

IMG_2176 I’m linking up with A Soft Place to Land for DIY Day, The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday and Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday. Whew, I’ve got a lot of friends to visit now!

17 comments:

  1. How neat! You did a great job! I like them in the corner the best too! :) Thanks for the comment on my blog! It is ribbon on the cloth diapers. I could sit and coordinate ribbon all day! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I would love to do that for my oldest daughter, she would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see those jewelry boxes often when I hit the thrift stores. That is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color choice on that jewelry box and your vanity is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo love them and what a great idea ! I am loving that vanity of yours - so girly !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! So girly and chic at the same time. I'm with you. I'm leaning towards putting them in the corner. Seems to pull that space together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty redo - great idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best vintage jewelry book redo I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great find! I like the under spot. I also love how you gave them a facelift. Really nice! Well done! Thank you for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week! Be sure and drop by to see what the other thrifty participants are showing off. Some really great finds!
    Thanks again!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello...

    Wow!!! What a fabulous transformation!!! I've seen those old jewelry boxes so many times and usually are pretty "worst for wear"...so what a great idea and way to salvage these pretty boxes!!! I would have never thought about spray painting them...and I love that you chose silver and lavender...two terrific colors used in combination!!! Adding your initial and embellishments just made the entire project!!!

    Hmmm...let's see...where do I like them located the best??? Well...they look fabulous in all three places...but I really like how they look inside your gorgeous vanity the best! But it's great that they look so good in so many different places...so versatile...now you can change them around whenever it suits you! Hehe!

    Thanks for sharing your jewelry box transformation...great idea!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  11. That vanity is sooooo regal and princessy -- LOVE THAT!

    Thanks for joining me today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great makeovers! Love them and I like them in the corner as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice..love the look...get it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how nice! I love how the old jewelry boxes turned out --it's great to find new life for old stuff.

    But the star? That vanity--- tres chic!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey thanks so much for paying a visit to my blog and becoming a follower.
    I LOVE the silver vanity. Great idea to paint it metallic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it on the vanity! And how great are estate sales, I can never just drive by them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails