Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Cookies: The Smell of Christmas

I’ve been so busy with work (both my normal job and some Etsy orders) that I haven’t done any Christmas baking yet, but I plan to fire the oven up this weekend to make a few batches of my favorite Christmas cookies.

We’re still rolling in pecans, so I can’t wait to make some Lacey Cookies.  Here’s the recipe my mom and I use:

Lacey Cookies

2 cups oats

1 tbsp. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. vanilla

2 sticks melted butter

2 cups sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix oats, flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.  Pour hot butter over mixture.  Add eggs, vanilla, and pecans. Drop 1/2 tsp. (use a demi-tass spoon) 2 inches apart onto a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-20 minutes.  Let cookies cool and peel from foil.

Yes, you really do spoon them out that small and that far apart!  The cookies will spread a lot while baking.  This recipe makes a ton since you spoon them out so small. I love these because they are so buttery and delicate.

Of course I’ve got to make some traditional sugar cookies.  I would love to get all ambitious and make some of these cookies I saw over on We Are That Family (from a guest post by Bake at 350):

How cute are they?!? But I’ll probably just be boring and go with some basic round cookies with red & green sprinkles!  Here is the recipe I use for soft sugar cookies:

Sandy’s Sugar Cookies

Blend: 1/2 cup shortening, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 egg

Add: 1 tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. vanilla or lemon

Mix: 1 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. baking powder

Roll into balls and flatten slightly.  Sprinkle with colored sugar or desired decorations.  Bake at 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Makes about 2.5 dozen.

Make sure you don’t over-bake these so they will stay soft and slightly crisp on the edges.

If you are making cookies to share, check out this cute packaging idea from Martha Stewart:

Get creative with your containers by using vintage glassware, compotes, or milk glass and keep it thrifty by seeing what you can find at Goodwill, estate sales, and your garage sale stash!

I’ll be linking up to some fun cookie/recipe parties, maybe I’ll find a new recipe to try this year!

cookie HollyBloggy Graphic

10 comments:

  1. Those cookies sound yummy. I will have to make some in honor of my niece Lacey. She will be tickled to eat a cookie with her name :o) Happy Holly Bloggy Bash :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be in the kitchen with ya. Well in the bloggy sense. We are also doing cookies this weekend. Usually I do them earlier. This year I figured that I didn't need the extra pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look lovely all packed up like that :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound yummy!!

    I linked up the recipe I used to make 260 cookies to donate, but I haven't made any for my family yet! LOL

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound so YUMMY!!! THANKS!!! for the recipes.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made some of your "monogrammed ornaments" and mentioned your blog when I posted the pics - great idea and I enjoyed making them so much - thanks for the inspiration. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me again...the lacey cookies bake for 10-20 minutes??? just verifying that it is not a typo...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic! I'm done with my baking but every time I see a new yummy recipe I'm tempted to bake some more :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got the chance to stop by and you have posted so may wonderful ideas. I love the bead hangers for your ornaments and the idea of using vintage containers to give cookies is an awesome idea. Thankis so much for sharing. I hope you have an amazing Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails